The enforcement campaign begins on December 6th 2013 and ends January 2nd 2014. The police will be out in force looking for drunk drivers with extra officers targeting DWI (driving while impaired or intoxicated).
Oceanport’s police department is just one of many departments participating in the national ‘Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over’ campaign.
Oceanport Police Traffic Safety Officer, Sergeant Michael P. Kelly said “The increase in arrests in Oceanport for driving while impaired or intoxicated is alarming, but it also shows that we are out looking for and arresting those drivers who fail to get the message that someone who drinks and gets behind the wheel is not only risking their life, but the lives of those around them.”
The Oceanport Police Department offers the following advice:
- If you plan to drink, designate a driver, someone who will not drink alcohol, before going out.
- Take mass transit, a taxi or ask a sober friend to drive you home.
- Spend the night where the activity is held.
- Report impaired drivers to law enforcement. In New Jersey, drivers may dial #77 or 911 to report a drunk or aggressive driver.
- Always buckle up, every ride, regardless of your seating position in the vehicle. Its your best defense against an impaired driver.
- If you’re intoxicated and traveling on foot, the safest way to get home is to take a cab or have a sober friend of family member drive you to your doorstep.